Deutz OMZ 122 R / Fablok 8DL
Deutz 23193/1938, Bochum-Dahlhausen, May 15, 1996. This machine was originally built for Tonwerk Bonn GmbH. Photo by MPW57, source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
Deutz 11737/1934 was built for Süddeutsche Zucker AG and numbered 609. In November 2000 it was plinthed in Frankenthal. Photo taken on November 8, 2008, by someone who wishes to be known as Ulli1105 (source: as above).
Narrow-gauge version OMZ 122 F was built in much larger quantities that the original standard-gauge one. This Deutz 46503/1942 was photographed at the Deutsche Dampflokmuseum in Neuenmarkt on May 1, 2014.
Side drawing of type 8DL; source - LSPP.
Between 1932 and 1942 German company Deutz built 176 standard-gauge light diesel locomotives which, after prime mover type, were designated OMZ 122 R (OM stood for ‘Ölmotor’, or diesel engine, Z for ‘Zweizylinder’, or two-cylinder; R indicated ‘Rangierlok’, or switcher). They were intended mainly as light switchers for industry. These two-axle locomotives were fitted with 40 hp two-cylinder upright two-stroke diesel engine, weighted 16 tonnes in working order and were capable of maximum speed up to 13 km/h. During the war, due to fuel shortages, some were converted to wood gas firing. Some of these diminutive machines were surprisingly long-lived: for example, Deutz 14652/1935 was withdrawn from Nordzucker AG in 2002. Several have been preserved. After the war a few locomotives of this type were impressed into DR in Eastern Germany and numbered in the manner adopted for standardized Kleinlokomotiven from the Kö group (see entry on class SM01 for details). A narrow-gauge version OMZ 122 F (F for ‘Feldbahn’) was also developed and built in considerable numbers: in all, 1383 examples, including 62 for Wehrmacht (military class HF 40 B).
In 1932 documentation of the OMZ 122 R locomotive was purchased by Pierwsza Fabryka Lokomotyw w Polsce (First Locomotive Factory in Poland, commonly known as Fablok), based in Chrzanów. This type served as a starting point for an indigenous locomotive, intended for smaller industrial enterprises which had their own sidings. Basic design was modified and several components manufactured in Poland were introduced. Power was provided by imported Deutz engine and four-speed transmission gear was manufactured by Fablok under Deutz license. The locomotive, designated 8DL, was slightly smaller and lighter than the original German machine. Prototype was completed in August 1939, but tests were interrupted by the outbreak of war. Ultimate fate of the sole 8DL is unknown. OMZ 122 R was the basis for Ls40, first Polish post-war diesel locomotive, of which 581 examples were built by Fablok between 1952 and 1961.
A few German OMZ 122 Rs left in Poland after the war saw service with Polish industrial establishments, but information on them is sparse and their number is unknown. Several sources state that one example has been preserved, namely Deutz 33124/1940, purchased by the Silesian Industry and Railway Museum of Jaworzyna Śląska in 2008. This information is, however, not entirely precise. This locomotive is in fact an OMZ 117 R, generally similar in appearance to the OMZ 122 R, but shorter and weaker, of which 117 examples were built. It was originally fitted with a 24 hp diesel engine. Built for the Eisen- und Walzwerk Rötzel GmbH of Breyell, Germany, it was re-engined in 1964 and withdrawn in 2003. Intended for preservation, it was finally sold to Polish Ewals Cargo Polska logistic company. The reasons for purchasing this ancient locomotive are unclear; possibly it was to be plinthed at the company’s premises. Finally sold to the museum, it was restored to working order in 2014 and is currently the oldest operational diesel locomotive in Poland. It is not known whether its current designation OMZ 122 R (confirmed by various sources, see e.g. https://vimeo.com/142623256) is erroneous or has resulted from re-engining in 1964.
Main technical data – OMZ 122 R
Main technical data – 8DL
References and acknowledgments