2E53

 

 

Photos of the 2E53s are rare. These two, taken by Tadeusz Suchorolski at the Jęzor depot on July 28, 1977, show an unknown 2E53 in its original version…

 

 

…and 2E53-6 with later modifications (including removed side current collectors). These photos have been published in the monograph listed in References (vol. 2).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 1953 Pafawag factory of Wrocław (pre-war Linke-Hofmann) delivered first passenger electric locomotive for PKP, classed E110 (finally re-classed EP02 in 1958, factory type 1E). Its design was based on that of pre-war EL.100 (developed by Metropolitan Vickers), with electric equipment and traction motors supplied by the British contractor. In early 1950s extent of main lines electrification in Poland was still modest, but in late 1940s PMP-PW (Filling Materials Enterprise of the Coal Industry) in Upper Silesia decided to electrify several lines with 3 kV DC, the same as chosen by PKP in the 1930s, technical assistance and electric equipment being provided again by Metropolitan Vickers. First electric freight locomotive built in Poland was thus intended for this industrial operator. Detailed design of factory type 2E was submitted in 1953 and, just like its predecessor, was based on electric equipment and traction motors supplied by the British contractor. Trucks were to be produced by Fablok of Chrzanów, with manufacture of bodies and final assembly taking place in Wrocław.

Between 1954 and 1956 nine examples a modest batch of nine examples was built and supplied to PMP-PW. Their service designation was 2E53, after the year of design approval, but they were commonly nicknamed ‘Vickers’. All were based at the Sosnowiec Jęzor depot. Initially they were fitted with additional side-mounted current collectors, which were later removed. Similarly, knuckle couplers initially fitted were later replaced by standard ones. There were minor differences between individual examples, as during overhauls some were fitted with modified cooling fan louvers (necessitated by new air filters of indigenous design) and redesigned cabs. These locomotives were seldom encountered outside the PMP-PW network and it was not intended to develop their variant for PKP, as new and more modern type 3E (ET21) appeared in 1957. In fact sand railways later acquired a number of 3Es. Last 2E53s were withdrawn from use in early 1980s and not a single locomotive has been preserved. The body of the 2E53-8 was still at the Sosnowiec Jęzor depot in late 2000s, serving as an auxiliary store, but most probably has already been scrapped. The site is currently owned by DB Schenker Rail Polska.

 

Main technical data

 

No.

Parameter

Unit

Value

1.

Years of manufacture

-

1954 – 1956

2.

Total built / used in Poland

-

9 / 9

3.

Axle arrangement

-

Co’Co’

4.

Control

-

individual

5.

Design maximum speed

km/h

68

6.

Traction motors (number X type)

-

6 X MV182CZ

7.

Voltage

V

3000

8.

One-hour rating

kW/hp

1170 / 1590

9.

Continuous rating

kW/hp

1500 / 2040

10.

Electric current at one-hour rating

A

11.

Electric current at continuous rating

A

12.

Rotational speed at one-hour rating

rpm

13.

Rotational speed at continuous rating

rpm

14.

Engine suspension

-

nose-suspended

15.

Reduction gear ratio

-

75 : 17

16.

Diameter of drivers

mm

1250

17.

Total weight

kg

120 000

18.

Axle load

T

20.0

19.

Axle base

mm

20.

Overall length

mm

16 900

21.

Maximum width

mm

2 896

22.

Brake type

-

 

 

References and acknowledgments

 

-       www.pl.wikipedia.org;

-       Koleje Piaskowe (Sand Railways) by Krzysztof Soida, Mariusz Furtek and Tomasz Roszak (vol. 1 – Betezda, Rybnik 2007, vol. 2 – Apland, Katowice, 2002).