EL.201 (HCP 342/1937); photo from the monograph mentioned in references. It seems that very few photographs of this locomotive are known to exist.
EL.200 side drawing; source: KMD vol.2-3/2008
A lineup of EL.200s (the first one is EL.204), photographed probably somewhere in Warsaw; date unknown. Source: National Digital Archives (www.nac.gov.pl). Used by permission.
First Polish electric locomotives (class EL.100, post-war EP01) were basically line machines intended for long-distance trains. They were, however, used mainly for hauling passenger trains along the so-called Diameter Line through central Warsaw; for such service, a smaller locomotive with less power would suffice. It was thus decided to order four such machines from Cegielski company of Poznań (HCP – serial numbers 342 through 345), electric equipment being supplied mainly by English Electric Co. Ltd. Final assembly was completed in 1937 under the supervision of British specialists at the Lilpop, Rau & Loewenstein railway stock factory in Warsaw and new locomotives were classed EL.200 (service numbers EL.201 through EL.204).
EL.200 used many components of E92000 electric trainsets for suburban traffic (post-war PKP class EW51), then entering service, including traction engines and complete trucks. Compared to EL.100s, they were lighter by almost 13 tonnes (despite being ballasted with 6 tonnes of concrete blocks, in order to provide better adhesion) and slightly shorter. Externally they could be distinguished by more angular body, as well as buffers and couplings mounted on body frame rather than on trucks. Their rated power was much lower, but sufficient for their intended service, which in fact was switching. Last example, EL.204, was fitted with electric steam generator for car heating, then a novelty in Poland.
Service of these machines was very short. Introduced in 1937, they served only until September 1939. Three were destroyed during German aerial raid on Warsaw on September 4 and one (EL.203) remained in use with Ostbahn – re-numbered E203 – in the capital until 1944. It was damaged during the Warsaw Uprising and after 1945 was unserviceable. EL203 was never restored in service; after cannibalization (traction engines and electric equipment were used to repair pre-war E92000 trainsets) its wreck remained at the Grochów locomotive depot in Warsaw until 1958. Unfortunately, this unique locomotive was finally scrapped. No post-war PKP class designation was given.
Main technical data
References and acknowledgments
- Monograph First Electric Locomotive of PKP EL.100 (EP01) by Edward Pokropiński (EMI Press, 1995);
- KMD vol. 2-3/2008;