130 037-5 (Škoda 7010/1977), ČD, photographed at the Jaromeř station on July 25, 2001, with a passenger train.
130 018-5 (Škoda 6991/1977) and 130 003-7 (Škoda 6976/1977), owned by Koleje Czeskie and operated by STK, photographed in Zduńska Wola Karsznice on February 16, 2011.
Close-up of the 130-003-7.
Side drawing of the class 130 locomotive; source: AV.
130 019-3 (Škoda 6992/1977), photographed at the same location on October 19, 2011.
Two more pictures from this location: 130 018-5 again…
…and 130 013-6 (Škoda 6986/1977), both taken on February 29, 2012.
130 041-7 (Škoda 7014/1977), operated by Doly Nástup Tušimice. Location unknown, March 14, 2004. This locomotive was leased to Transoda between 2005 and 2009. Photo by Krzysztof Słowikowski (from my collection).
Following its return to Czech Republic, 130 041-7 was taken over by Severočeské Doly. It was photographed with a train to the Mělník u Stadic power plant on April 22, 2015 by someone who wishes to be known as Matijak (source: www.commons.wikimedia.org).
In 1949 Czechoslovakian Škoda works of Plzeň acquired license rights from Schweizerische Lokomotiv- und Maschinenfabrik of Winterthur and Société Anonyme des Ateliers de Sécheron of Genéve to build a four-axle (Bo’Bo’) electric locomotive. First example was completed in 1952 and accepted by state railways ČSD in 1953; later 100 machines, classed E499.0 (later 140), were supplied in six batches, differing in minor details (factory designations type 12E1 through 12E6). Twelve more were built for export. These locomotives – their nickname was ‘Bobina’, after the axle arrangement – proved very successful and remained in use for a long time. In early 21st century five second-hand examples were acquired by various Polish private railways (they are described under a separate entry).
Class E499.0 served as a basis for an entire family of electric locomotives, built both for ČSD and for export and progressively modified. Class E499.1 (later 141) featured different transmission and modified trucks, while class E469.1 (later 121) had different reduction gear ratio and higher tractive effort. The latter was intended for freight traffic and was further developed into classes E469.2 (later 122) with slightly reduced weight and E469.3 (later 123) with modified electric equipment. Class E469.5 (later 125.8) was a two-section broad-gauge version, for hauling heavy freight trains in eastern Slovakia.
Class E479.0, which appeared in 1977 (factory type 79E1), was developed from E469.3 and E469.5 and may be considered the final stage in the development of the first generation of electric locomotives in Czechoslovakia. Compared to earlier designs, it featured modified trucks and suspension, single-arm current collectors and improved electric equipment; resistor-type startup system was, however, retained. Škoda works built a batch of forty examples for ČSD and further fourteen (factory type 79E2, differing only in minor details) for SHD-Doly Nástup Tušimice lignite mines in northern Bohemia. The latter initially went also to ČSD, as electrification of the mine railway network was completed only in 1981. All were delivered in 1977. Due to a pronounced ‘hump’ that houses startup resistors cooling fans, this locomotive was promptly nicknamed ‘Velbloud’ (camel) or ‘Hrbatá’ (humpback). Class 130 still remains in service with ČD and private operators: SD (Severočeské Doly a.s.) and Viamont.
First locomotive of this type appeared in Poland in July 2004: 130 041-7 was leased by Transoda from Viamont and renumbered ET11-001-23. 130 049, also from Viamont, followed in April 2005 and became ET11-002-23. Both were originally built for SHD-Doly Nástup Tušimice and were returned to Czech Republic in 2009 and 2007, respectively. ET11-002-23 was considered very prone to failures and saw little service (for a short time it was leased to Lotos Kolej and re-numbered 79E2-002-23). In June 2010 Wrocław-based STK company obtained two ex-ČD examples, 130 003-7 and 130 018-5. Both were formally owned by Koleje Czeskie, a ČD subsidiary. 130 019-3 followed in December 2010 and 130 013-6 in July 2011. These four locomotives were returned to ČD Cargo in May 2014, but three of them (minus 130 019-3) re-appeared in the rosters of ČD Cargo Poland, legal successor of Koleje Czeskie, in January 2018. It seems possible that this company will obtain more of these locomotives, but until now (October 2018) no such plans have been revealed.
Main technical data
1) Currently (October 2018) only four in service in Poland.
References and acknowledgments
- AV, MAL;
- SK, various issues;
- www.kolejowaklatka.org (website by Marek Dąbrowski);