An unknown S1v, photographed at some KPEV depot. Source: H.Maey, E.Born, Lokomotiven der alten deutschen Staats- und Privatbahnen, Transpress, 1983.
KPEV S1 Bromberg 29, Hanomag 2272/1891, location and date unknown. Collection Horst Steffens via T.Galka.
Side drawing of the S1 Bauart Magdeburg; source: Lokomotiv-Archiv Preußen Band 1 by Andreas Wagner, Dieter Bäzold, Rainer Zschech and Ralph Lüderitz (Bechtermünz Verlag, 1996).
This is certainly a not very typical situation for a S1! As far as I know, this picture was taken in or near Katowice (or rather Kattowitz), probably before WWI. Any idea?
A drawing of the compound version (‘Hannover 458’, Hanomag 1730/1884), published in Centralblatt der Bauverwaltung, March 28, 1885. Source: www.commons,wikimedia.org.
First Prussian express locomotives with compound engines featured the 1-2-0 axle arrangement and were designed by August von Borries. Only fourteen examples were delivered, including eight by Hanomag (between 1884 and 1885) and six by Henschel (in 1887); all were assigned to the Hannover regional depot. In 1884 a single-expansion variant appeared, which featured modified boiler and slightly larger drivers. Due to simplicity of manufacture and maintenance it found more favor with Prussian railway authorities, was standardized (Musterblatt III-2) and 260 examples were delivered until the termination of production in 1898. After 1903 both these types were classed S1 by KPEV, the compound and single-expansion versions being referred to as Bauart Hannover and Bauart Magdeburg, respectively. Both were coupled with three-axle 3T12 tenders. Class S1 also included a few (possibly three) locomotives with the same axle arrangement, from a batch of thirty originally built for the Cöln-Mindener Eisenbahn that had survived in service until the introduction of the new designation system.
Class S1 was a successful engine for its time, but soon became surpassed by more modern designs offering higher speed and better running qualities (due to two-axle pony truck). Following the appearance of more powerful engines, class S1 was relegated to passenger traffic. Last compounds survived in service until 1922, but the majority had been withdrawn before WWI. Singles fared slightly better: four were even provisionally assigned DRG service numbers 12 7001 through 7004, but these were in fact never given, as last engines of this type were withdrawn in 1923.
After WWI Polish railways obtained fourteen locomotives of this type, all of the single-expansion variety, built between 1890 and 1895. These comparatively light and weak engines were used for a short time with secondary passenger trains. Within the framework of the new designation system they were classed Pc1, but it is not sure if all in fact underwent renumbering, as the official 1927 Ministry of Transport type list does not include this class in service. Some sources state that last three survived until 1931, which most probably is incorrect. Not a single S1 has been preserved.
Main technical data*
*) All data refer to the single-expansion version.
References and acknowledgments
- Dampfloks der Preußischen Staatsbahn by Thomas Estler (Transpress, 2012);
- Ingo Hütter (private communication);