Probably factory photo of the KkStB 605 (later 6.05, Wiener Neustadt 3754/1894). This locomotive later became ČSD 264.005 and was withdrawn in February 1932. Source: www.pl.wikipedia.org.
KkStB 662 (later 6.62, Wiener Neustadt 4050/1898), location and date unknown – probably also a factory photo. Later ČSD 264.025, withdrawn in March 1938. Source: Die Lokomotive July 1904.
Between 1879 and 1897 four major Austrian factories built 213 passenger locomotives for state railways KkStB (in 1905 classed 4) and private operators, in several batches differing in many details. These engines, with the 2-2-0 axle arrangement, 1680 mm drivers and maximum speed of 80 km/h, soon became insufficient for the most prestigious (and heaviest) passenger trains that ran between major cities of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Their replacement in this role was class 6 – the first one designed by Karl Gölsdorf after being appointed the chief of the KkStB design bureau.
Class 6 differed considerably from earlier Austrian passenger locomotives. It featured 2100 mm drivers and high-pitched boiler, in order to facilitate wide grate suitable for burning coal of lower quality. Single-expansion steam engine was replaced by a compound, much favored by Gölsdorf. For the first time Heusinger valve gear was used and boiler was fitted with two steam domes connected with a horizontal tube, later typical for many Austrian locomotives. Maximum speed was increased to 90 km/h, but reportedly 130 km/h was attained on occasions; due to front pony truck running qualities were substantially improved.
Deliveries of class 6 engines between 1894 and 1898 totaled 68 examples, built by three manufacturers: WLF (24), Wiener Neustadt (20) and StEG (24). Initially they were numbered 601 through 668, later renumbered 6.01 through 68. Later examples had slightly modified boilers. Class 6 was replaced on production lines by class 106, which featured several improvements, but was otherwise similar in overall performance and appearance. From 1917 onwards first 54 examples were fitted with class 106 boilers, differing in minor details (including slightly larger grate and Coale safety valves).
After the war BBÖ kept twenty locomotives of this type, which remained in service until 1932. As many as 32 went to Czechoslovakia and 28 were classed 264.0 in mid-1920s, the remaining four being withdrawn earlier. Last two 264.0s were written off in 1941. Five KkStB locomotives were captured by the Russians and ended up in the USSR. 6.40 (WLF 990/1896) was damaged beyond repair in an accident in March 1916. The remaining ten engines went to PKP and nine of them were classed Pd12 in mid-1920s; 6.65 (StEG 2626/1898) was written off in 1920, before new designation system came into use. Seven Pd12s were withdrawn between 1927 and 1936. Pd12-3 (former 6.39, WLF 989/1896) remained in service until April 1939 and Pd12-5 (6.43, WLF 993/1896) was captured by the Soviets in 1939; nothing is known on its subsequent fate. Not a single example of this locomotive has been preserved.
Main technical data
1) Possibly also other tender classes.
2) Later examples.
References and acknowledgments
- LP, KT, EZ;