17 254 (ex Münster 1213, Hanomag 7697/1916), location and date unknown. Source: Lokomotiven der alten deutschen Staats- und Privatbahnen by H.Maey and E.Born. This locomotive survived in the DR service until September 1948.
Side drawing of the S102 by M.Kratochvil; source:
TB vol. 1.
Class S10, first Prussian express locomotive with three driven axles, was developed from very successful P8, but featured four-cylinder single-expansion steam engine. As it was not entirely satisfactory, further modifications followed. Class S101 (built in two different variants) featured four-cylinder compound engine and class S102 was fitted with three-cylinder single-expansion unit. Prototype of the latter was built by Vulcan (2899/1914, Halle 1201). Until 1916, 124 examples were delivered by Hanomag (67), Vulcan (41) and BMAG (16). Class S102 was clearly superior to S10, but its performance did not surpass that of S101. Three examples (Vulcan 2902 through 2904) were built with Stumpf uniflow steam engine (Gleichstromzylinder); they were known as Bauart Stumpf. Contrary to other S102s, in these experimental locomotives outer cylinders drove the second coupled axle. This modification was not successful and all were later converted to standard variant, but their motion gear remained unchanged. Between 1922 and 1932 Henschel built eight very similar machines for the Lübeck-Büchener Eisenbahn (LBE). After this railway was taken over by DRG in 1938, they became 17 305 through 312, inheriting these numbers after old Bavarian class C V, withdrawn in 1920s. LBE also had four their four-cylinder locomotives rebuilt to this standard between 1924 and 1925; later they became DRG 17 301 through 304.
After WWI Prussian railways were left with 96 examples, classed 172 by DRG in 1925. Of these, 88 survived until 1945 and remained in use until 1948. In 1925 17 206 (Hanomag 7434/1915) was experimentally fitted with high-pressure (60 bar) Schmidt-Hartmann boiler, supplied by Henschel, and duly re-designated H 17 206, where H stood for Hochdruckkessel, or high-pressure boiler. It was re-engined with compound steam engine. Performance increase did not justify higher manufacture cost and maintenance problems; this locomotive was withdrawn in March 1937 and converted to standard configuration. It remained in use with DR until 1948. In 1932 17 236 (BMAG 5592/1915) and 17 239 (BMAG 5595/1915) were fitted with medium-pressure (25 bar) boilers and compound engines for test purposes. Their performance was comparable to that of Class 03 Einheitsloks, but due to boiler problems pressure had to be reduced to 16 bar. Later both were also converted to standard variant and ended up with DR until withdrawal in 1948.
Fifteen locomotives of this type went to Belgium and ten to France (Chemins de fer du Nord). Danzig 1203 (Vulcan 3003/1915) was transferred to Italy. Classed 677 by FS, this locomotive was found to have excessive axle load and was written off in 1927. One locomotive (the prototype) went to Poland and was numbered Pk3-1 in 1925. This leaves one locomotive missing. According to several sources, including TB vol. 1 and Lokomotiv-Archiv Preußen Band 1, Polish example was one of the three initially fitted with the Stumpf steam engine. Furthermore, the latter source, as well as Dampflok-Archiv 1, claim that two S102s went to Poland. This needs clarification and I shall be grateful for a hint. According to LP, the sole Polish Pk3 was taken over by DRG, re-numbered 17 297, then went to DB and was withdrawn in 1948.
No locomotive of this type has been preserved. One example (17 218, Vulcan 2982/1915) was used as an educational exhibit until 1957, but was finally scrapped in 1970.
Main technical data
1) Later increased to 120 km/h.
References and acknowledgments
- LP, DL;
- www.lokomotive.de (Ingo Hütter’s locomotive database);
- Lokomotiv-Archiv Preußen Band 1 by Andreas Wagner, Dieter Bäzold, Rainer Zschech and Ralph Lüderitz (Bechtermünz Verlag, 1996);
- Dampflok-Archiv 1 by Manfred Weisbrod, Hans Müller and Wolfgang Petznick (Transpress, 1976);