LCJE No. 157 ‘Sereth’ (Sigl 1599/1872), location unknown, before 1900. Later this engine became kkStB 4643, then 46.43 and finally went to PKP. Wood firing is noteworthy. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
Ordered by EUGE, but delivered after its nationalization, kkStB 4635 (WrN 3320/1889) later became 46.36. After the war it went to PKP and was withdrawn before 1927. Source: LAÖ.
Between 1872 and 1889 Austrian G. Sigl Lokomotiv-Fabrik built 43 freight locomotives with the 0-3-0 axle arrangement for five private railways:
- Erzherzog Albrecht-Bahn (EAB), nationalized in 1892 – 16 examples;
- Mährische Grenzbahn (MGB), operated by kkStB since 1883 and nationalized in 1895 – one example;
- Erste Ungarisch-Galizische Eisenbahn (EUGE), nationalized in 1889 – 16 examples, last four delivered directly to kkStB;
- Ungarische Westbahn (UWB) – three examples;
- Lemberg-Czernowitz-Jassy Eisenbahn (LCJE), nationalized in 1889 – seven examples.
Last eight locomotives for EUGE were built by Sigl company successor, Actien-Gesellschaft der Lokomotiv-Fabrik vormals G. Sigl, commonly known as Wiener Neustadt. Engines from individual batches differed in certain respects. In particular, 46.09 through 17 featured Belpaire-type firebox and had 191 flues, while all remaining examples had standard fireboxes and 176 or 186 flues. Three types of smokestacks were used: straight, conical or fitted with Rihosek-type spark arrester. All these locomotives had, apart from their ‘native’ service numbers and in some cases individual names, also kkStB numbers (4601 through 4643). In 1905, following the introduction of new designation system, they were classed 46; two of them, 4607 and 4617, were withdrawn earlier, so new numbers 46.07 and 46.17 were not assigned. In the kkStB service class 46 locomotives were slightly modified; weight was reduced and maximum speed increased from 40 to 45 km/h.
Until 1918 as many as twenty of these already obsolete engines, including two previously mentioned, were written off. The rest were divided between Austria and Poland. ÖBB retained just three examples; two were withdrawn in 1925 and the last one in 1929. PKP took over the remaining twenty, but one, 46.39, probably saw no service and was written off in 1921. They were used mainly on local lines in south-eastern Poland. Within the framework of new designation system they were most probably to be classed Th18, but it is doubtful if re-numbering actually took place, as all were withdrawn from use before 1927. Assignment of new service number to individual examples is not known. No locomotive of this type has been preserved.
Main technical data
1) Including one not restored in service.
2) First / second / third boiler version.
References and acknowledgments
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- LP, KT vol. 2, LAÖ.