K.Bay.Sts.B 1627 (Krauss 5249/1905) in military service; Montmedy, France, January 10, 1917. Later this engine became DRG 54 1361 and was written off in 1928. © Alfred Ruhfaß(source: www.pl.wikipedia.org).
Side drawing of the C VI; source: Heinz Schnabel, Lokomotiv-Archiv Bayern, Transpress, 1987.
Between 1899 and 1905 state railways of Bavaria (Königlich Bayerische Staatseisenbahnen, K.Bay.Sts.B) took delivery of 83 class C VI light freight locomotives, built by Krauss (50) and Maffei (33). They were given service numbers 1551 through 1633. Further 37 examples were built by Krauss between 1907 and 1909. Within the framework of the new designation system they were classed G 3/4 N, wherein ‘G’ indicated freight locomotive (Güterzuglokomotive), first and second number corresponded to the number of driven axles and total number of axles, respectively, while ‘N’ stood for Naßdampf, or saturated steam. Their service numbers ran from 1634 to 1670. All these locomotives ran on saturated steam, featured two-cylinder compound engines and were coupled with four-axle 2’2’T18 tenders. Those from the second batch differed only in minor details and were slightly heavier.
After WWI these engines were divided between Poland, Belgium and newly-created German state railways DRG. Belgian state railways CFB took over eleven C VIs and two G 3/4 Ns, all but one being given service numbers within the range from 7379 to 7393. DRG kept 64 C VIs (class 5413) and 32 G 3/4 Ns (class 5414). Last C VI (54 1363, ex No. 1629, Krauss 5251/1905) was withdrawn in June 1934, with the last G 3/4 N (54 1405, ex No. 1639, Krauss 5648/1907) following in September. K.Bay.Sts.B 1661 was written off in 1918. The remaining ten locomotives went to PKP. Due to being similar to Prussian class G5, they were initially designated G5Bw, wherein ‘Bw’ indicated Bavaria. In 1926 they were classed Ti101. LP gives no assignments of service numbers to individual examples. According to the monograph by Heinz Schnabel (see References), Ti101-1 through Ti101-7 were C VIs and Ti101-8 and Ti101-9 were G 3/4 Ns, while no PKP service number is given for the C VI No. 1601. This, however, may be only a conjecture, based on the assumption that Polish service number were assigned in increasing order with Bavarian service numbers (as it was the case with DRG re-numbering), which actually was not the rule. All engines of this type were withdrawn from PKP before 1936.
According to EZ vol. 2, K.Bay.Sts.B 1616 (Krauss 5103/1904) and 1646 (Krauss 6003/1908) were in 1918 taken over by ČSD and numbered 334.601 and 334.602. They were withdrawn in 1932 and 1937, respectively. Stock lists in EZ vol. 4 state that these locomotives were PKP Ti101-7 and Ti101-8. This information has possibly been taken from the above-mentioned monograph. Most probably this is a plain error. No locomotive of this type has survived until today.
Main technical data
1) Data for the second batch (class G 3/4 N).
References and acknowledgments
- LP, TB vol. 1, EZ;
- Lokomotiv-Archiv Bayern by Heinz Schnabel (Transpress, 1987).