SCB No. 96, first example built, in its original version. Re-boilered in 1893 and taken over by SBB in 1902 (No. 3891), it was sold to German military railways in 1916 and assigned to MGB Warschau; I have no information on its further fate. Source: Der Dampfbetrieb der schweizerischen Eisenbahnen 1847 – 1966 (see References).
Last example built, SCB No. 127 (later SBB 3897) shared the fate of its sister engine. Assigned to MGD Warschau and numbered 3605, it was taken over by PKP and classed Ti103; withdrawn before 1927 and 1931. Source: as above.
During the First World War, Swiss state railways SBB-CFF-FFS (Schweizerische Bundesbahnen-Chemins de fer fédéraux suisses-Ferrovie Federali Svizzere, hereinafter referred to simply as SBB) sold a number of surplus steam locomotives to German and Austro-Hungarian military railways. Among them were 1-3-0 freight engines, originally built for Schweizerische Centralbahn (SCB) at their own works at Olten and classed C II. First three examples, factory numbers 40 through 42, were built in 1885 and numbered 96 through 98. Nos. 99 (43/1886) and 100 (44/1887) featured modified boilers with slightly shortened drums, number of flues reduced from 212 to 198 and overall evaporating surface reduced by some 10 percent; modest steam pressure of 10 bar was retained. Two more examples followed in 1890, numbered 126 (52/1890) and 127 (53/1890). In 1893, Nos. 96, 97 and 98 were re-boilered to the later standard. Following incorporation of SCB into SBB in 1902, all these locomotives were included in SBB class D 3/4 as Gruppe 41 and numbered 3891 through 3897. They were coupled with comparatively small two-axle tenders.
No. 3893 was withdrawn in 1913 and No. 3896 followed in 1914. The remaining five engines were sold in 1916 to Deutsche Heeresbahnen (German military railways) and assigned to Militäreisenbahn-Generaldirektion in Warsaw (MGD Warschau). They were classed G4 – it was a standard practice in such cases to assign the designation of a Prussian class with similar parameters and performance – and numbered 3601 through 3605. Two examples, No. 3602 (former SCB 97, SBB 3892) and No. 3605 (former SCB 127, SBB 3897) were in 1918 taken over by Polish authorities and impressed into PKP. In 1926 they were classed Ti103, but assignment of individual numbers is not known. Very few details on their service are available. Both were still in use in 1927, but were withdrawn before 1931. No locomotive of this type has been preserved.
Main technical data
1) According to Charakterystyka parowozów, maximum speed was set at 45 km/h.
2) Re-boilered wersion.
References and acknowledgments
- Der Dampfbetrieb der schweizerischen Eisenbahnen 1847 – 1966 by Alfred Moser (Birkhäuser, 1967);
- Charakterystyka parowozów (Steam Locomotive Characteristics) by A. Czeczott (Ministry of Transport, 1927);