KFNB 553 (Wiener Neustadt 3929/1896), probably a factory photo. This engine later became KkStB 260.33 and survived in BBÖ service until 1937. Source: www.pl.wikipedia.org.
Side drawing of ČSD class 333.1; source: EZ vol. 2.
The most numerous locomotive type of the private Kaiser-Ferdinand-Nordbahn (KFNB) was class VIII, developed by Wiener Neustadt in order to replace class V with the 0-3-0 axle arrangement. In 1893 twelve examples were built for service evaluation, including six with compound engines (service numbers 525 through 530) and six singles (531 through 536). Both featured 1-3-0 axle arrangement and Bissel pony truck. Compounds were finally judged superior and ordered in quantity. Production lasted until 1908 and totaled 221 examples from four manufacturers: WrN (91), WLF (103), BMMF (21) and StEG (six). There were some differences between individual batches, concerning mainly boiler details; later examples, from 260.56 onwards, had the number of flues reduced from 203 to 199. With KFNB they were numbered 525 through 745. In 1909 KFNB was incorporate into state railways KkStB and VIIIs were re-classed 260; six singles became 260.01 through 06 and compounds were re-numbered 260.11 through 225. This type was further developed into class 60, which differed mainly in modified boiler and Adams front axle. These engines were also built in large numbers, 394 being delivered for KkStB and Südbahn between 1895 and 1910.
Three locomotives perished during the war. 260.56 was captured by Russians and 260.221 destroyed during hostilities; the fate of the 260.85 is not known. The remaining 218 engines were divided between Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians (SHS, later Yugoslavia). BBÖ kept only 26 examples, which retained their original numbers. Most were withdrawn before WWII, but seven survived in service until Anschluss, to be taken over by DRG and re-numbered 54 101 through 107. With ÖBB they remained in use until 1952, but 260.101 (WLF 1380/1900) survived until 1983 – unfortunately this engine was not preserved. ČSD took over 124 examples, of which 122 were classed 333.1 and numbered 333.101 through 1122; the remaining two were withdrawn before new designation system came into use. Last were written off in 1964 and many went to industry. Railways of the SHS, later JDŽ, received only three engines, numbered 130.001 through 003.
Polish railways took over 65 locomotives of this type, but two (former 260.27 and 260.55) were withdrawn before 1924, so only 63 were classed Ti11. One of them (Ti11-1, ex 260.05, WrN 3690/1893) had single-expansion steam engine, the rest were compounds. Only one was withdrawn before 1927, but fifteen more followed before 1936 and further thirteen between 1936 and 1939. In September 1939 27 Ti11s (including two withdrawn earlier that year) fell into German hands. Two were written off in 1940 and the remaining 25 re-numbered 54 141 through 165. Soviets took over fourteen engines (including eight already withdrawn); four were later captured by Germans and impressed into Ostbahn (two) or DRG (re-numbered 54 166 and 167, probably only formally). The fate of Ti11-25 is unknown.
After the war twelve pre-war Ti11s returned from DRG (six), ČSD (four) and BBÖ (two). Moreover, PKP acquired also ex-ČSD 333.140, 333.175 (both returned in 1948) and 333.1106, as well as ex-BBÖ 260.210. Of these locomotives, eleven were given new service numbers. Last survived in use until 1953. Two ex-Polish Ti11s returned from Yugoslavia in 1949 and further two from Eastern Germany in 1955 (plus one ex-BBÖ 260.59); none was restored in service. No locomotive of this type has survived until today.
Main technical data
1) 260.01 through 06.
2) 260.01 through 55.
3) 260.56 through 225.
4) Depending on production batch.
References and acknowledgments
- KT, LP, EZ;
- Steam Engines Characteristics (Ministry of Transport, 1927 issue).