Ti16-19 (Wiener Neustadt 5016/1910), photographed in Jaremcze in 1939. This engine was evacuated to Hungary, became MÁV 330,901 and finally ended up in Czechoslovakia. Source: Marcin Czerwiński (www.panoramio.com).
KkStB 160.27 (BMMF 162/1910), location and date unknown. Taken over by PKP and re-numbered Ti16-26, it was taken over by DRG and became 54 061; withdrawn in 1942. Source: LAÖ.
KkStB 160.04 (WrN 4911/1909), Wien West, 1909. Standing by the engine is Johann Rihosek, renowned Austrian railway engineer. 160.04 was taken over by PKP and became Ti16-4. Captured by Germans in 1939 and impressed into DRG as 54 054, it was written off in June 1942. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org
Between 1895 and 1910 Austro-Hungarian state railways kkStB took delivery of 321 class 60 freight locomotives with the 1-3-0 axle arrangement, designed by renowned Karl Gölsdorf. They were running on saturated steam and featured compound steam engines. In early 1900s advantages of steam superheating were becoming evident, so in 1909 Wiener Neustadt built a superheated variant of this locomotive. Classed 160, it was ordered in quantity, but total output reached only a modest 46 examples from Wiener Neustadt (26) and BMMF (20). Production was terminated in 1910. Although 60s and 160s performed well in mountain regions, they were becoming too weak for heavier freight trains. They were superseded by more powerful types, in particular classes 170 (1-4-0) and 80 (0-5-0), which were built in large numbers.
Class 160 differed from its predecessor mainly in boiler. Original firebox was retained, but distance between tube plates was shortened from 4165 to 3900 mm and flues reduced in number from 202 to 110. Evaporating surface was reduced from 144.7 to 78.7 sq.m. Superheater had 18 smoke tubes and its heating surface was 33 sq.m. Frame, wheelsets, steam engine and cab were virtually unchanged. Externally class 160 differed little from class 60 fitted with steam dryer (60.5 and 60.8), which – contrary to ‘plain’ 60s – were fitted with single steam dome.
After 1918 two examples (160.08 and 160.43) remained in the USSR and two (160.37 and 160.45) went to Italy. Classed 605 by FS, they were soon withdrawn. The remaining 42 locomotives were taken over by PKP and in 1925 classed Ti16. Ti16-23 was withdrawn before 1936 and Ti16-22 in 1938. The rest remained in use until 1939. The majority (26) fell into German hands; of these, 21 were re-numbered 54 051 through 071. These service numbers had previously been assigned to Prussian G51s, withdrawn in the 1920s. Class 540 included also ex-kkStB and ex-Südbahn class 60 (from BBÖ, PKP and JDŽ) and a single Ti2. The remaining five were written off in 1940 and 1941. Thirteen were taken over by the Soviets and impressed into NKPS; six later became German war booty. Ti16-19 went to Hungary with an evacuation train and was later impressed into MÁV as 330,901. In 1944 it went to DRG and later to Czechoslovakia, but saw no service there and had no ČSD service number assigned. Ti16-15 (ex kkStB 160.16, Wiener Neustadt 5012/1910) also had a colorful life: captured by the Soviets in 1939, it later fell into German hands, in 1942 went to Romania and served with CFR as 130.908 and was finally returned to the USSR. Most German 5405s were withdrawn from use between 1942 and 1943, only few survived until 1945. After the war only one example was returned to PKP: pre-war Ti16-14 (ex kkStB 160.15, Wiener Neustadt 5011/1910), which in 1939 became Soviet war booty and then fell into German hands and served with Ostbahn. Numbered Ti16-1, it was withdrawn in November 1950. No locomotive of this type has been preserved.
Main technical data
List of vehicles can be found here.
References and acknowledgments
- www.beitraege.lokomotive.de (Ingo Hütter’s locomotive database);
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- LP, KT vol. 2, LAÖ, ITFR.