KukHB 860.022, ex SD 615 (Borsig 8371/1913), location and date unknown. The inscription is somehow deceitful, as Serbian class designation was in fact 600, not 860. Source: www.zeleznice.in.rs.
J 20-079 (Henschel 19072/1922), location and date unknown. Source: as above.
Preserved J 20-183 (Rheinmetall 526/1922), photographed in Trebnje, Slovenia, on July 18. 2010, by someone who wishes to be known as Ajznponar. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
Locomotives taken over by PKP from Austro-Hungarian Military Railways (kukHB) were generally considered as being of foreign origin other than German or Austrian and assigned numerical type designations above 100. This referred to kukHB classes 274 (Tp106), 328 (Oi101), 370 (Tr104) and 578 (TKp101). All these engines had been supplied by German manufacturers. There were, however, two exceptions. Class 680, which was basically identical with Prussian class G10, was included in PKP class Tw1. Class 860, built by Borsig, was for unclear reasons considered as being of Austrian origin and assigned designation Ti17.
KukHB class 860 was preceded by twenty 1-3-0 freight locomotives built in 1913 by Borsig for the state railways of Serbia SD (Srpske Dravne eleznice, factory numbers 8694 through 8703 and 8727 through 8736, service numbers 601 through 620). This type was developed from an earlier design, ordered by Turkish railways Chemins de Fer Ottomans dAnatolie and Chemin de Fer Impérial Ottoman de Baghdad, of which 21 examples were built by Borsig and Hanomag between 1911 and 1914. They were modern engines running on superheated steam, with moderate axle load of 14 tonnes. Two of them (Nos. 605 and 615) were captured in Serbia during the war and impressed into Austro-Hungarian military railways. They were probably found very useful, as in 1916 twenty locomotives of this type were ordered from Henschel. They were assigned factory numbers 14083 through 14102, but the order was eventually transferred to Borsig (factory numbers 9152 through 9171). With kukHB they were classed 860 and numbered 860.001 through 020, with ex-SD 605 and 615 re-numbered 860.021 and 860.022, respectively). All survived until the end of hostilities. After the war ten examples (including both ex-Serbian ones) were taken over by the railways of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians (SHS). Later they were included in J class 20, together with those built against the first order by Borsig in 1913. SHS railways were probably very satisfied with these locomotives, as they ordered as many as 200 examples from AEG (24), Borsig (47), Hanomag (26), Henschel (68), Krauss (ten) and Rheinmetall (25). German manufacturers immediately after the war were certainly not overburdened with orders, so all these engines were delivered in 1922. Numbered 6001 through 6200, they were later also included in J class 20. Last four were withdrawn in April 1975 and a few have been preserved. Eight 860s went to Romanian state railways CFR. They retained their original numbers. Most were withdrawn before 1934 and the last one, 860.019, survived until 1936.
According to www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik, Polish state railways took over four locomotives of this type. However, only three were classed Ti17 following introduction of the new designation system. Ultimate fate of the fourth one, 860.002, is not known; this locomotive was either not taken over or withdrawn earlier. Three Ti17s served in south-eastern Poland until 1939 and all fell into Soviet hands. Ti17-1 (ex 860.001, Borsig 9152/1916) was captured by German forces, transferred to CFR and re-numbered 130.909; after the war it was returned to the USSR. Ti17-2 (ex 860.013, Borsig 9164/1916), which also became German war booty, was impressed into Ostbahn and withdrawn in February 1944. Ti17-3 (ex 860.014, Borsig 9165/1916) remained in the USSR and its ultimate fate is unknown.
Main technical data
Note: data refer to locomotives originally built against the kukHB order.
References and acknowledgments
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- LP, ITFR.