StEG No. 661, probably due to round serial number (1000/1873) was christened ‘Kaiser Franz Josef’. Later re-numbered 1173, then 4235, it was impressed into kkStB as 571.35. Taken over by ČSD and numbered 401.014, it remained in service with the Protectorate railways until July 1940. Probably a factory photo, source: www.de.wikipedia.org.
Side drawing of the BDŽ variant, source: LBDZ.
According to some (albeit secondary) sources, class designation Tp11 was envisaged for Austro-Hungarian (kkStB) class 571; other possibilities are kkStB class 171 (see entry on Tp12) and MÁV class 441. Unless some documents hitherto unknown are revealed, it seems doubtful if this issue can be clarified.
Origins of the kkStB class 571 go back to the year 1867, when k. k. privilegierte österreichische Staatseisenbahn-Gesellschaft, commonly referred to as Staats-Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft, or StEG, took delivery of a freight locomotive with the 0-4-0 axle arrangement, built by company’s own works (s/n 822/1867), numbered 600 and christened ‘Wien’. Until 1871, further 111 examples followed, most from StEG; Nos. 687 through 696 came from Borsig (all were sold to Romanian state railways CFR in 1878) and Nos. 697 through 711 from Esslingen. All were given individual names. In 1873 all these 112 engines were classed V and re-numbered 1112 through 1223. Production was re-commenced at StEG in 1875, with further 23 examples built until 1878 and numbered 1224 through 1246, this time without individual names. Last four were at once sold to Turkish Chemins de Fer Orientaux (in 1888 they were transferred to newly-formed Bulgarian state railways BDŽ), so further four engines were delivered from StEG in 1880, their service numbers 1243 through 1246 being used for the second time. This gives the total of 139 examples. These locomotives featured inner frame and Gooch valve gear. There were differences between individual batches, concerning mainly boiler details (185, 195, 206 or 207 flues, Barren or Polonceau-type firebox). Boiler pressure of 9 bar was later increased to 10 bar. In later examples, two steam domes connected by a large horizontal tube, typical for many Austrian locomotives, were introduced.
In 1891 Hungarian part of the StEG network was absorbed by state railways. 52 examples were taken over by MÁV and numbered 4201 through 4252 (later 459,001 through 052). The remaining examples were classed 42 and numbered 4201 through 4273. In 1909 what remained of StEG was absorbed by state railways kkStB, which took these engines and classed them 571. Until the end of 1918 twelve locomotives of this type were withdrawn from MÁV. After the war Hungarian railways were left with thirteen examples, the last of which was withdrawn in 1954. Austrian state railways BBÖ had forty examples, most of which were written off before 1938. Only three were taken over by DRG in 1938 and classed 5570. Two of them were returned after the war and promptly withdrawn, while 55 7002 (former 571.34, StEG 976/1870) went to industry in 1944. This locomotive was returned to ÖBB in 1957 and written off in 1958, probably the last one of this type. Czechoslovakian state railways ČSD took over 36 examples, of which 31 were classed 401.0. Three from MÁV were, due to technical differences, classed 411.2, while two were withdrawn before new designation system came into use. Last were withdrawn in early 1950s. Romanian railways CFR had thirty examples, including those purchased in 1878; last of them survived until 1935. Four BDŽ engines initially retained their original StEG numbers 1243 through 1246. Re-numbered 243 through 246 in 1908, they were withdrawn from line service in 1914 and written off in 1923. Finally, three locomotives were taken over by the railways of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians (SHS); their ultimate fate is unknown.
After WWI PKP took over just one locomotive of this type, namely 571.09 (former No. 1132 ‘Iglava’, StEG 879/1868). Even if class designation Tp11 was actually envisaged for it, it was never assigned, as this elderly engine was withdrawn before 1927. In 1945 PKP took over ex-MÁV 459,046 (StEG 1496/1878), which fell into German hands in 1944, but was not given any DRG service number. It is doubtful if this engine saw any use in Poland. No locomotive of this type has been preserved.
Main technical data
Note: apart from production, data refer to the sole Polish example taken over after WWI.
References and acknowledgments
- (website by Josef Pospichal);
- LP, EZ vol. 2, KT vol. 3, LBDZ.