KEB No. 200 ‘Gerlos’ (WLF 195/1875), location and date unknown. This locomotive later became kkStB 70.21; one of two examples of this type that were kept by BBÖ, it was withdrawn in 1936. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
Side drawing of ČSD class 402.0 with class 412.3 tender. Source: EZ vol. 2.
Another KEB engine: No. 168 ‘Tauern’ (Hartmann 644/1873), location and date unknown. In 1884 this engine became kkStB 7003, later 70.03; withdrawn in July 1915. Source: Die Lokomotive January 1913.
The k.k. privilegierte Kaiserin Elisabeth-Bahn (KEB) was founded in 1851 and first line, between Linz and Vienna, was opened in 1858. Locomotives were ordered not only from Austrian manufacturers, but also from Sächsische Maschinenfabrik of Chemnitz, known as Hartmann. In 1873 the latter company delivered nine 0-4-0 freighters (factory numbers 642 through 650), classed V. Their purchase resulted from the decision to eliminate horse traction from the line between Linz and Budweis (now České Budějovice). Class V featured Belpaire-type firebox, inner frame and Gooch valve gear. New locomotives were numbered 166 through 174 and given individual names. No. 168 ‘Tauern’ (644/1873) was awarded a diploma at the 1873 Vienna World Exhibition. Further orders were placed in 1875 with Sigl (six examples, factory numbers 2231 through 2236, service numbers 189 through 194) and WLF (nine examples, factory numbers 190 through 198, service numbers 195 through 203). These engines also had individual names. Belpaire-type firebox was replaced with Becker-type ones. Following nationalization of the KEB in 1884, all 24 locomotives of this type were taken over by state railways kkStB. Initially they were classed B III and numbered 7001 through 7024; with the introduction of the new designation system they were re-numbered 70.01 through 70.24. During their service with kkStB they underwent boiler standardization and were fitted with standard round-top fireboxes.
Due to moderate axle load, class 70 proved very useful in military service in eastern Galicia, where weak tracks were commonplace. Three engines (70.03, 70.11 and 70.20) were written off during the war. Two ended up in Russia and their fate is not known. 70.17 briefly served in Ukraine and was later taken over by Romanian state railways CFR; it was withdrawn before 1934. Czechoslovakian railways ČSD received five examples, later classed 402.0. Three were written off between 1927 and 1928, but two (402.003 and 402.004) remained in use long enough to fall into German hands in 1939. Taken over by DRG and re-numbered 55 7101 and 55 7102, they were transferred to ČMD (railways of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia) in 1944 and finally withdrawn in 1949 and 1950, respectively. Austrian state railways BBÖ kept only two examples: 70.21 (withdrawn in 1936) and 70.23 (withdrawn in 1932). The remaining eleven 70s were taken over by PKP. As it was the case with many other older Austrian classes, they were withdrawn before new locomotive designation system was introduced – according to KT in 1926. This source also states that class designation Tp13 was reserved for them, but assignment of service numbers to individual examples is not known. No locomotive of this type has survived until today.
Main technical data
Note: data for final version with standardized boiler.
References and acknowledgments
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- LP, EZ vol. 2, KT vol. 3.