The only suggested candidate for PKP class Tp16 is KkStB class 175. One of two surviving examples, ČSD 414.404 (ex 175.04, StEG 2416/1894) was photographed at the Jaromeř depot on August 25, 2004.
Another picture of this engine, taken on June 14, 2008.
Side drawing of ČSD class 414.4; source: EZ vol. 2.
ČSD 414.407 (former kkStB 175.07, StEG 2531/1896), photographer at the Křimov station, Czech Republic, on August 30, 2009. Photo by someone who wishes to be known as Rainerhaufe (source: www.commons.wikimedia.org).
The very existence of this class with PKP is uncertain and has been deduced from indirect information. According to some sources, in early 1920s PKP had four engines with certain technical characteristics (weight and some boiler details) corresponding to that of KkStB class 175. It is, however, almost certain that this class designation, even if envisaged for these locomotives, had in fact never been assigned.
Class 175 was a development of earlier and not entirely successful class 75, built for StEG railways in 1890 (initially designated class Vn, later 43, re-classed in October 1909 after StEG had been incorporated into KkStB). Only six 75s were built: all were later taken over by ČSD (class 414.3) and used mainly for switching and with service trains. In 1894 StEG introduced improved class Vg (later 44), which differed mainly in redesigned boiler. Inordinately large grate (intended to burn low-grade coal) was reduced in area from 4.35 to 3.24 sq.m and total heating surface was increased from 166.1 to 181.5 sq.m, due to longer drum. Number of flues remained unchanged, at 236. Boiler pressure was increased from 10 to 12 bar. All this resulted in overall improvement of boiler performance and tractive effort while maintaining the ability to burn poor coals, but maximum speed remained unchanged, at 35 km/h. This was too small a progress to warrant large-scale production and, although production continued at StEG until 1900, only nineteen examples were built in three small batches differing in minor details. In 1909 they were re-classed 175 by KkStB.
Just like their predecessors, all 175s went to ČSD (class 414.4) and no mention of their episode with Polish railways has been found in competent Czech or Austrian sources. It seems possible that a few served very briefly with PKP immediately after the war and were later handed over to ČSD on the basis of international agreements, but – as mentioned above – this is just a conjecture (such suggestion has been put forward in LP) which still needs support. During WWII all engines of this type served with Českomoravské Protektorátni Dráhy and thus were not given DRG numbers; last of them, 414.408 (ex 175.08, StEG 2532/1896) was withdrawn in February 1968.
Given their low number and inconspicuous service, it is somehow surprising that two engines of this type have survived until today, both in Czech Republic. 414.404 (ex 175.04, StEG 2416/1894) is a property of the National Technical Museum, Prague, and can be seen at the Jaroměř depot; it had been one of the last engines of this type in service. 414.407 (ex 175.07, StEG 2531/1896) has been preserved at the Chomutov depot and is intended for a static display.
Main technical data
1) Depending on production batch.
References and acknowledgments
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- LP, EZ vol. 2, EDÖ.