First T1A (Fablok 178/1927), built for Skarboferm mining company. Location and date unknown (possibly a factory photo). Collection Bogdan Pokropiński; source: PNPP.
Side drawing of the T1A (version for industry); source: as above.
Pierwsza Fabryka Lokomotyw w Polsce (First Locomotive Factory in Poland), founded in Chrzanów in 1919 and commonly known as Fablok, maintained close ties with Austrian Lokomotivfabrik der StEG; in fact, the first locomotive built there, PKP class Tr21, was assembled from parts manufactured in Austria. In 1927 the documentation of a 0-3-0 tank engine was purchased from StEG, intended for industry and various private operators. This locomotive was given Fablok factory designation T1A. Running on saturated steam, it featured steel firebox, slide valves, 1140 mm drivers and vacuum brakes. First example (178/1927) was built for a colliery in Katowice; two more followed in 1928 and one in 1929, all for industry. Fifth T1A (Fablok 200/1929), fitted with Westinghouse air brakes and electric lighting, was ordered by Kolej Elektryczna Warszawa-Młociny-Modlin (Warszawa-Młociny-Modlin Electric Railway), which, despite its name, was never electrified. This railway, owned by the Siła i Światło (Power and Light) company, commenced operation in 1929. Due to the world crisis, the line was never extended to Modlin, terminating at the military depots near Palmiry. According to some sources, normal traffic was suspended in 1931 and the railway was afterwards operated by PKP on behalf of the military authorities. If this was the case, this locomotive was either withdrawn or sold earlier, as otherwise it would have been given a PKP service number. Track was finally lifted up by Germans in 1943 and the line was never rebuilt. According to PNPP, one more T1A was built for a chemical company in 1938 and one in 1940 for a colliery; they are not mentioned in earlier publications, even by the same author. This gives the total of just seven examples. Given the fact that superheated version of this type, T2A, appeared in 1929, it seems quite probable that these last two T1As were in fact T2As. This is confirmed by the (incomplete) list of industrial locomotives, available at http://parowozy.net/zestawienia/parowozy-w-przemysle (website by Michał ‘Doctor’ Pawełczyk).
Little is known about post-war service of these locomotives, apart from the fact that last were withdrawn in 1945. During overhauls they were fitted with air brakes, lighting and modified equipment. As mentioned earlier, this type was later developed into superheated T2A, also known as TKh29 or ‘Ferrum 29’, which is described under a separate entry. Further development – type T3A, or ‘Ferrum 47’ – again running on saturated steam, was built in large numbers between 1948 and 1961.
Main technical data
1) PNPP gives 7 examples, most probably erroneously.
2) One example fitted with Westinghouse air brakes.
References and acknowledgments
- PPN, PNPP;
- Fablok factory list (courtesy Attila Kirchner).