T1B (TKz, ‘Renard’)
The sole surviving ÖBB 95.112, ex BBÖ 82.12 (Wiener Neustadt 5644/1922), plinthed in Payerbach-Reichenau, August 6, 2000. Photo by Herbert Ortner (via www.commons.wikimedia.org).
One of two T1Bs used by the Renard colliery at the company premises, date unknown. Source: http://mysnet.pl/a/kolej-piaskowa-kopalni-renard (used by permission).
Side drawing of the T1B. Source: PPN.
In 1925 Renard colliery, a major mining enterprise of Sosnowiec, began the construction of a railway line intended to transport filling material from sand pits located near Jęzor. This line, 9 km in length, was opened in 1928. In order to haul heavy trains, an order was placed with Fablok for two powerful tank locomotives with the 1-5-1 axle arrangement. Their design was based on that of Austrian (BBÖ) class 82, of which 24 examples were built by Wiener Neustadt between 1922 and 1926. At that time, Fablok maintained close ties with Austrian locomotive industry and Wiener Neustadt supplied technical documentation of class 82, so that Fablok engines differed only in details.
Both engines (factory type T1B, s/n 180 and 181) were delivered in 1928 and immediately began their rather monotonous service. They typically hauled drafts of fifteen four-axle dump-cars of special type, transporting even up to 2.500 cu.m of sand per day. Their service continued throughout the war and later, up to early 1970s (in the meantime, Renard colliery changed its name to Sosnowiec). Due to axle arrangement, these locomotives were also referred to as class TKz and designated TKz 180 and TKz 181, after their serial numbers. Unofficially type T1B was known as ‘Renard’. It was the heaviest and most powerful industrial tank engine built by Fablok. With the introduction of diesels on sand railways (which had merged into a single state-owned enterprise after the war), both T1Bs were withdrawn in early 1970s and later scrapped. TKz class designation was also assigned to seven heavy tank locomotives, built for Silesian sand railways by Borsig and BMAG between 1924 and 1938, which were taken over after WWII. They are described under a separate entry.
Austrian class 82 remained in use until Anschluss. All 24 examples were impressed into DRG and classed 951. All but one were returned after the war and survived in service until 1972. One engine (82.23, then 95 123) was taken over by Czechoslovakian state railways, re-numbered 524.1500 and sold to industry in 1953. The sole surviving example is former 82.12 (Wiener Neustadt 5644/1922), which is plinthed at the Payerbach-Reichenau railway station. This engine has been rebuilt with Giesl exhaust nozzle.
Main technical data
References and acknowledgments
̶ www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);