T2A / TKh29 / Ferrum 29
T2A, first version (Fablok 408/1929), later TKh29. Location and date unknown, possibly factory photo. Collection Bogdan Pokropiński; source: PNPP.
Second version of the T2A, location and date unknown. Source: as above.
Side drawing of the first…
…and of the second version. Source: as above.
And now for something completely different: TKh29-1 drawing by Mariusz Plewka (used by permission).
Type T1A, built in small numbers by Fablok on the basis of documentation purchased from StEG in 1927, was soon developed into an improved and more powerful superheated T2A. Similar in external appearance, new locomotive featured copper firebox and piston valves, was slightly longer and lighter. The sole example of this version (Fablok 408/1929) was purchased by Kolej Elektryczna Warszawa-Młociny-Modlin (Warszawa-Młociny-Modlin Electric Railway), which already had one T1A in operation. Plans to electrify this railway in fact failed to materialize, due to the world crisis, and the line was never completed. Normal traffic was later suspended and the line was used only by military authorities, providing a connection to the military depots located near Palmiry. Operation was entrusted to PKP and the locomotive was numbered TKh29-1. In 1939 it fell into German hands and was impressed into DRG as 89 1101. Withdrawn in May 1944, it was transferred to RAW Linz, then taken over by Austrian state railways ÖBB and finally withdrawn in November 1946.
Second version of this type appeared almost in parallel with the first one and featured modified boiler, again with steel firebox. It was slightly longer and had lower smokestack. It was commonly known as ‘Ferrum 29’. Data concerning production of this variant vary considerably, depending on source. PNPP gives ten examples built between 1929 and 1941, but only four of these are confirmed by the Fablok factory list (see References). Given the fact that two engines listed in PNPP as T1As were in fact most probably T2As, total pre-war production was six examples; this is consistent with AP, which gives combined production of T1A and T2A as twelve engines. According to PNPP, further ten examples were built between 1946 and 1948. Nine of these are confirmed by the Fablok factory list, but these locomotives were most probably T3As (also known as ‘Ferrum 47’, described under a separate entry), which had been developed from T2A, but ran on saturated steam. During overhauls, T2As were fitted with electric lighting; in some examples, vacuum brakes were replaced by air units. These locomotives remained in service with various industrial establishments until late 1970s; not a single example has been preserved.
Main technical data – first version (TKh29)
Main technical data – second version (Ferrum 29)
1) Most probably.
2) Some latter fitted with air brakes.
References and acknowledgments
- PPN, PNPP, AP;
- Fablok factory list (courtesy Attila Kirchner).