KkStB 8500 (Wöhlert 316/1871), originally known as ‘Hartig’, was withdrawn in 1902. Location and date unknown. Source: LAÖ.
KkStB 8509 (Wiener Neustadt 2618/1882), location and date unknown. Originally built for Lokalbahn Dolina-Wygoda and numbered 2. Taken over by state railways, it was withdrawn in 1910. Its twin No. 1, later 8508 and 85.08, was taken over by PKP. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
BCB class IIS ‘Krž’ (Wiener Neustadt 2493/1881), location and date unknown. This engine, taken over by kkStB, finally became 85.05 (second with this number) and was withdrawn in 1916. Diminutive size of the locomotive and small drivers are noteworthy. Source: as above.
Side drawing of the 8508 and 8509 from KT vol. 4. Conical stack was later replaced with a tall, straight one.
Class 85 of Austro-Hungarian state railways kaiserlich-königlichen österreichische Staatsbahnen (kkStB) numbered just sixteen examples, but they came from as many as five different railways for which they had originally been built. They were light locomotives for mixed traffic on side lines. Although similar in appearance, they differed in many details. All had the 0-2-0 axle arrangement, inner frame and featured single-expansion steam engines. Allan valve gear was used, with the exception of the 8500, which had Stephenson unit.
- kkStB 8500 was built by Wöhlert of Berlin (316/1871), together with two identical machines, for Steirische Eisenindustrie-Gesellschaft. It was operated between Zeltweg and Fohnsdorf by the Kronprinz Rudolf-Bahn (KRB). Named ‘Hartig’, it was taken over by state railways following the KRB nationalization in 1884 and withdrawn in 1902.
- kkStB 8501 through 8507 were ordered by Niederösterreichische Südwestbahnen (NÖSWB). 8501 was built by Krauss & Comp. of Munich in 1879, the rest by Wiener Neustadt between 1880 and 1881. Initially they were numbered 1C through 7C. NÖSWB was nationalized in 1878, but these locomotives initially retained their original numbers. In 1892 8501 was re-numbered 8351. In 1905 three engines were again re-numbered 85.02, 85.05 and 85.06, the rest were withdrawn earlier. 85.02 was sold to the army in 1907 and was the only locomotive of this class to see brief service with BBÖ, being withdrawn in 1921. 85.05 was withdrawn in 1907, 85.06 was taken over by ČSD and written off in 1920.
- kkStB 8508 and 8509 were built in 1882 by Wiener Neustadt for the Lokalbahn Dolina-Wygoda, a side line of the Erzherzog Albrechts-Bahn (EAB) opened in 1883 (today in Ukraine). Numbered 1 and 2, they were taken over by kkStB following the EAB nationalization in 1892. In 1905 they were re-numbered 85.08 and 85.09. The latter was soon withdrawn. 85.08 (Wiener Neustadt 2617/1882) was taken over by PKP. According to www.pospichal.net, it was possibly to be classed TKb11, but confirmation is lacking. The engine, weak and obsolete, saw little use and was withdrawn before 1926.
- kkStB 85.10 (Wiener Neustadt 2484/1880) was ordered by Kaiser Ferdinands-Nordbahn (KFNB), classed IX and numbered 902. Class IX included a number of locomotives without any common feature, with one, two or three coupled axles. KFNB was nationalized in 1906. No. 902 was later taken over by ČSD and written off in 1921.
- kkStB 85.11 through 14 and 85.05 (second with this number) came from Böhmischen Commerzialbahnen (BCB) – class IIS, built by Wiener Neustadt in 1881. They became the kkStB property in 1910. Three were withdrawn between 1910 and 1916, the remaining two, 85.12 and 85.14, were impressed into ČSD and withdrawn in 1921 and 1922, respectively.
No locomotive of this type has been preserved. The following data, except production period and numbers, refer to two engines originally built for EAB.
Main technical data
References and acknowledgments
- KT vol. 4;
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal).