Krauss 7851/1921 displays its original livery and K.Bay.St.Eb. service number 4701. Photographed in Bochum-Dahlhausen on October 5,1985, by someone known as MPW57; source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
The same engine on display at the Koblenz-Lützel railway museum, refurbished after being damaged by fire. April 3, 2010, photo by Jürgen Heegmann, source: as above.
Side drawing of class R 3/3; source: Lokomotiv-Archi Bayern (see References).
One of the most prolific Bavarian steam locomotive types was a 0-3-0 switcher, initially classed D II and later R 3/3. First batch of twenty examples was built by Krauss in 1898 and numbered 2400 through 2419. In 1900 Maffei delivered the second batch (sixteen examples, 2420 through 2435), followed by third in 1901 (nine examples, 2436 through 2444). In 1902 Krauss and Maffei built ten locomotives each (2445 through 2454 and 2455 through 2464, respectively). Sixth batch from Krauss comprised eight examples, delivered in 1904 (2464 through 2472). All these 73 engines were classed D II; this designation was used for the second time, first D IIs were four small 0-2-0 tank locomotives withdrawn until 1894. Individual batches differed in minor details.
Following the introduction of new motive power designation system by Königlich Bayerische Staatseisenbahnen, next locomotives of this type were classed R 3/3 (R indicated Rangierlok, or switcher, while numeric designation referred to the number of driven/all axles). Krauss built fifteen examples (2473 through 2487) between 1906 and 1907 and further three (2488 through 2490) in 1913. Production of these successful and useful engines was re-commenced after the war, with Krauss delivering ninety examples between 1921 and 1923 (service numbers 4701 through 4790). This gives the grand total of 181 locomotives from Krauss (146) and Maffei (35). Most of them (177) were taken over by newly-formed DRG and classed 896 (D II), 897 (pre-war R 3/3) and 898 (post-war R 3/3). After WWII the majority of these engines were taken over by DB, with DR receiving just two examples. Most of them were written off in late 1950s, many went to industry. Last locomotives of this type (89 801 and 89 883) were withdrawn from DB in December 1964. Three examples that remained after 1945 in Austria were taken over by ÖBB; classed 789, they were withdrawn between 1956 and 1957, with two going to industry.
After WWI Polish state railways received four locomotives of this type. Initially they were classed T7BW, wherein T7 indicated Prussian class with similar characteristics (later PKP class TKh2) and ‘BW’ stood for Bawaria, or Bayern. Within the framework of new designation system they were classed TKh101. They came from various batches: first (2417, Krauss 3616/1898), second (2425, Maffei 2127/1900), fifth (2461, Maffei 2278/1902) and pre-war R 3/3 batch (2483, Krauss 5465/1907). Assignment of PKP service numbers to individual examples is not known. According to Lokomotiv-Archiv Bayern (see References) they were assigned in the ascending order with respect to Bavarian numbers, but it seems that this is based on the assumption that PKP employed the same rule as DRG, which basically was not the case. All four TKh101s were still in the PKP inventory in 1927, but were written off before 1936.
Two locomotives of this type have been preserved, both from the last batch built by Krauss. 89 801 (Krauss 7851/1921) is on static display at the DB Museum in Koblenz-Lützel, sporting its original Bavarian livery and service number 4701. This locomotive was badly damaged by fire in 2005 and later restored. 89 837 (former 4737, Krauss 7917/1921) was taken over by ÖBB in 1945 and served until April 1956 as 789.837. Sold to Grazer Schleppbahn, it was finally withdrawn in 1979 and transferred to Bayerisches Eisenbahnmuseum of Nördlingen five years later.
Main technical data
1) D II.
2) Pre-war R 3/3.
3) Post-war R 3/3.
References and acknowledgments
- Ingo Hütter’s locomotive database (www.lokomotive.de);
- TB vol. 2, LP;
- Lokomotiv-Archiv Bayern by Heinz Schnabel (Transpress, 1987).