ÖLEG F501 (Krauss München 896/1880), location and date unknown. This engine was later absorbed by kkStB as 9301 and written off in December 1901. The sole Polish locomotive of this type differed in some details. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
Side drawing of ČSD class 300.1; source: EZ vol. 1.
During late 19th century and early 1900s Austro-Hungarian state railways kaiserlich-königliche österreichische Staatsbahnen (kkStB) absorbed many private railway enterprises, together with their motive power and rolling stock. ‘New’ locomotives were given kkStB class designations and service numbers. As a rule, each class within this group included locomotives originally built for various railways and differing in numerous details. Class 93 was no exception: it numbered 22 engines, taken over from six railways:
- Österreichische Lokal-Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft (ÖLEG, nationalized in 1894) – eight examples;
- Österreichische Nordwestbahn (ÖNWB, nationalized in 1908) – five examples, including four bought from ÖLEG in 1889;
- k.k. privilegierte Kaiser Ferdinands-Nordbahn (KFNB, nationalized in 1906) – two examples, originally classed IX,
- Kremstalbahn (KTB, nationalized in 1906) – three examples, later re-classed 193;
- Böhmische Commercialbahnen (BCB, nationalized in 1910) – two examples;
- k.k. privilegierte Reichenberg-Gablonz-Tannwalder Eisenbahn (RGTE, operated by kkStB since 1907) – two examples.
All these light locomotives for mixed traffic on secondary lines shared the 0-3-0 axle arrangement, inner frames and single-expansion steam engines, but differed in many details. They were built by Krauss München (eleven), Krauss Linz (seven) and WLF (four). Most were supplied between 1880 and 1883; two engines for RGTE were built in 1888 and one for ÖNWB in 1902, when this type was already obsolete. As many as thirteen were withdrawn before the war and two more followed between 1914 and 1915. One was sold to Škoda company of Pilsen in 1904 and one to Schöller-Bleckmann Stahlwerke in 1912; the latter survived in use until 1940. Four were taken over by Czechoslovakian state railways ČSD. They were classed 300.1 and 300.2; three were written off between 1926 and 1928, the fourth one followed in 1937.
The sole class 93 locomotive taken over by PKP came from a batch of three examples ordered by Kremsierer Bahn (today in Czech Republic) from WLF: ‘Zborowitz’ (353/1881), ‘Holleschau’ (354/1881) and ‘Bistritz am Hostein’ (451/1883). On January 1, 1887, operation of this railway was taken over by KFNB and on June 1, 1888, it was formally impressed into the latter. Three locomotives were classed IX and re-numbered 904, 905 and 906. No. 904 was written off in 1895. Nos. 905 and 906 were taken over by kkStB in 1906 and re-designated 93.11 and 93.12, respectively. The former was taken over by ČSD and re-designated 300.101; it was withdrawn in April 1926. No. 906 became the property of Polish state railways. According to www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik, service designation TKh11-1 was envisaged for this locomotive, but never assigned, as it was withdrawn from use before 1925.
Main technical data*)
*) All data refer to KFNB class IX.
References and acknowledgments
- LP, KT vol. 4, EZ vol. 1;
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);