Factory photo of the ‘Siemieński’ (WLF 971/1895, later KkStB 394.42 and then PKP TKh14-2. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org. Side panels covering wheels and motion gear were intended to protect animals and could be lifted upwards.
The sole post-war TKh14 was originally built for KFNB as one of 43 class IX engines. This No. 946 (WLF 955/1895) later became kkStB 197.26 and then ČSD 310.123; it was withdrawn in March 1931. Source: as above.
Side drawing of ČSD class 310.1; source: EZ vol. 1.
ČSD 310.127 (ex kkStB 197.30), Wiener Neustadt 4096/1898, plinthed in Prostějov, Czech Republic. This locomotive was withdrawn from ČSD in 1933 and went to industry; in 2017 it was transferred to the ČD Museum in Lužná u Rakovníka. Photo taken on July 20, 2007, by Michal Maňas (source: www.commons.wikimedia.org).
In 1891 Wiener Lokomotivfabrik (WLF) of Vienna-Floridsdorf built four small tank engines for the Cilli-Wöllan railway (now Celje-Velenje in Slovenia), operated by Steiermärkische Landesbahnen (StLB). They featured 0-3-0 axle arrangement with 1086 mm drivers. In 1895 another private railway, between Lemberg (later Lwów) and Janów, which commenced operation in November, ordered two similar locomotives, with slightly reduced cylinder bore and boiler pressure increased from 11 to 12 bar. They were named ‘Potocki’ and ‘Siemieński’, after two principal shareholders. In 1903 the railway was extended to Jaworów and third engine of the same type was ordered. It was named ‘Adam Gołuchowski’, this time after a well-known Austrian politician of Polish origin, and delivered in 1904. As with many other local railways in Austria, these three locomotives had their KkStB numbers – initially 9441 through 9443, later 394.41 through 43. After StLB were incorporated into KkStB in 1904, their four engines were re-numbered 9444 through 9447, later 394.44 through 47.
After the war ex-StLB locomotives were divided between Italy and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians. FS classed their two engines 826; they saw little service and were withdrawn in 1924. With JDŽ (re-numbered 150.020 and 150.021) they remained in use for much longer: the former, ex 394.46, was even given DRG service number 98 7051 and both saw some service after WWII. All three engines from the Lwów-Jaworów railway were handed over to PKP and classed TKh14. Two were withdrawn before 1936 and one (394.41 ‘Potocki’, WLF 970/1895) was written off in April 1937. No locomotive of this type has been preserved.
Class designation TKh14 was used for the second time after WWII. In 1945 Polish railways took over DRG 98 7726, one of 43 locomotives originally built between 1888 and 1905 by Wiener Neustadt (34) and WLF (nine) for the Kaiser-Ferdinands-Nordbahn (KFNB) and classed IX. They were assigned service numbers 912 through 957; Nos. 914, 915 and 920 were not used. In 1907, following the nationalization of KFNB, all these locomotives were taken over by state railways kkStB and re-numbered 197.01 through 43. After the war they went to Czechoslovakia. One (197.03) was written off in 1923 and two (197.11 and 197.13) were handed over in 1924 to the Slezské Zemské Dráhy local railway. The rest were classed 310.1 and re-numbered 310.101 through 140. Until 1939 nine were withdrawn and several more went to various local railways or industry. The last one, 310.115 (kkStB 197.18, Wiener Neustadt 3614/1892), sold to industry in 1953, survived in service until 1967. 21 examples were taken over by DRG and numbered 98.7711 through 7731; some were returned after the war. One example (WrN 4421/1901, KFNB 918, kkStB 197.38, ČSD 310.135, DRG 98 7729) returned to Austria and remained in use until March 1955 as ÖBB 389.001. The above-mentioned 98 7726 was originally delivered to KFNB by Wiener Neustadt (4097/1898) and numbered 951. Later it became kkStB 197.31 and then ČSD 310.128. I have no information on how this engine became Polish property; possibly it was abandoned somewhere in Poland, as evacuation of more valuable motive power had priority. It was designated TKh14-1. Details of its service with PKP are also unknown to me; it seems probable that this service was not a long one. Two locomotives of this type (310.127 and 310.124) have been preserved in Czech Republic.
Main technical data – kkStB class 394*)
*) All data refer to the variant built for the Lwów-Jaworów railway.
Main technical data – kkStB class 197
References and acknowledgments
- LP, TK, EZ, ISRSL;
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);