SäStB 565 ‘Biberach’ (Hartmann 2377/1899). This locomotive represents the third production version. Later it became DRG 36 945 and its withdrawal date is not known. Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org.
Side drawing of the first production version. Source: Lokomotiv-Archiv Sachsen (see References).
In 1896 state railways of Saxony (Königlich Sächsischen Staatseisenbahnen) introduced express (class VIIIbV1, later VIII V1) and passenger (class VIIIbV2, later VIII V2) steam locomotives which shared many design features. Both featured Belpaire-type firebox, Heusinger valve gear, compound steam engine and 2-2-0 axle arrangement, but the latter had smaller drivers and shortened boiler with reduced grate area. First batch of the passenger engines numbered twenty examples, built by Sächsische Maschinenfabrik vorm. Richard Hartmann between 1896 and 1897. They were assigned service numbers 519 through 538 and all were given individual names, taken from German towns and cities. The same manufacturer delivered between 1897 and 1899 two subsequent batches, of ten and twenty examples, respectively, with service numbers 539 through 568 and individual names. These belonged to the second version, with cylinders enlarged in diameter from 440/650 to 460/680 mm, slightly higher tractive effort, modified cab and other minor refinements. Third version was built between 1900 and 1902 by Hartmann (43), Schwartzkopff (ten), Esslingen (ten) and Linke-Hofmann (five), bringing total output to 118. Third variant featured modified boiler with the number of flues increased from 216 to 254, which resulted in total evaporating surface increase from 112.1 to 130.8 sq.m. Boiler pressure was increased from 12 to 13 bar. These engines were numbered 569 through 636 and had no individual names. First version was typically coupled with three-axle 3T9 tenders; later much larger four-axle 2’2’T16 and finally 2’2’T21 were standardized.
Class VIII V2 was the most numerous SäStB passenger locomotive type and dominated mainline traffic at least until 1910, when superheated XII H2 was introduced. Due to comparatively small drivers it performed well even on mountain lines. As many as 111 examples survived in Germany until 1925, when they were given DRG service numbers 36 901 through 919 (first version), 36 921 through 948 (second version) and 36 951 through 1014 (third version). Last were withdrawn in 1931. Six engines were written off before 1925 and one, No. 528 ‘Meuselwitz’ (Hartmann 2200/1897) was left in Poland by withdrawing German forces in 1918. This locomotive, from the first production batch, was taken over by PKP and in 1925 numbered Od101-1. Little is known about its service, apart from the fact that it was written off between 1927 and 1931. No engine of this type has been preserved.
Main technical data
Note data for the first version with three-axle tender.
References and acknowledgments
- Lokomotiv-Archiv Sachsen by Fritz Näbrich, Günter Meyer and Reiner Preuß (Transpress, 1984);
- Ingo Hütter’s website www.lokomotive.de/lokomotivgeschichte/datenbank;