Factory photo of the KRB 57 ‘Grimming’ (later kkStB 101, reko 2.42, WrN 2291/1877). This locomotive was taken over by ČSD and withdrawn in 1922. Source: www.commons.wikipedia.org.
Factory photo of the ÖNWB ‘Stuart Mill’, then kkStB 50 and finally 16.38 (WLF 105/1873). Taken over by ČSD and numbered 232.16, this locomotive survived until 1929. Source: www.commons.wikipedia.org.
Class 16 side drawing; source: EZ vol. 1.
Od11 is one of ‘uncertain’ ex-Austrian PKP classes – ‘a class that never was’. Most probably this designation was intended, but actually never assigned, to kkStB classes 1 and 16. Ultimate confirmation is, however, lacking. All these locomotives were withdrawn from use before new PKP designation system came into use.
In 1877 Kronprinz Rudolf Bahn (KRB) ordered eight 2-2-0 class AR passenger engines from Wiener Neustädter Lokomotivfabrik (WrN). These locomotives featured outer frame and single-expansion steam engines. They were followed in 1879 by five more for the same railway, this time for the Tarvisio-Pontebba line. In 1880 KRB came under state supervision, which was followed by nationalization in 1884. Production continued, with five more ARs built by WrN in 1882 and five by Lokomotivfabrik Floridsdorf (WLF) in 1883. These locomotives became kkStB class 1 and were numbered 101 through 123 (later 1.01 through 1.23). Finally, in 1883, WrN delivered five slightly modified engines for the Lemberg-Czernowitz-Jassy Eisenbahn (LCJE, class IIIe). They were given Polish individual names: ‘Ogień’ (Fire), ‘Burza’ (Storm), ‘Bieg’ (Run), ‘Para’ (Steam) and ‘Moc’ (Power). Following the railway nationalization in 1889, they became kkStB 124 through 128 (later 1.24 through 1.28).
Five class 1 locomotives, including three from LCJE, were withdrawn before WWI. Five were kept by Austrian state railways BBÖ, but three of them were written off in 1923, one was sold to industry and one (1.20, WLF 445/1883) was transferred in 1926 to Technisches Museum in Wien, where it still remains on static display. Former LCJE ‘Moc’ (kkStB 1.27, WrN 2779/1883) fell into Russian hands in 1917. Between 1893 and 1910 sixteen locomotives were rebuilt to the class 2 standard and given new service numbers. LCJE ‘Burza’ (kkStB 1.24, WrN 2776/1883) was intended for PKP and, according to www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik, was to be re-numbered Od11-1. This, however, was never done and the obsolete, almost forty-years old engine was scrapped in Linz in 1922.
KkStB class 16 was even older. Between 1870 and 1871 Sigl (which later became Wiener Neustädter Lokomotivfabrik) built thirty class IIIa passenger locomotives for k.k. privilegierte Österreichische Nordwestbahn (ÖNWB). They were followed by sixteen very similar engines from WLF (class IIIb), delivered in 1873. Two more locomotives from the original ÖNWB order placed with WLF were taken over by Mährisch-Schlesische Zentralbahn. After nationalization all these engines were taken over by kkStB; classed 16, they were given service numbers 16.02 through 46 (three were withdrawn until 1909, including the ‘candidate’ for 16.01). They featured 2-2-0 axle arrangement and outer frame. Later production examples had steam pressure increased from 9 to 10 bar; in the kkStB service, however, it was decreased to 9 bar.
Eleven examples were written off between 1910 and 1917. The rest was divided between Poland and Czechoslovakia. ČSD took over twenty engines, of which eighteen were later classed 232.0. Their service was surprisingly long: the last one, 65-years old 232.014 (former 16.32, WLF 99/1873) was withdrawn in March 1938. Fourteen examples were handed over to PKP. These completely obsolete locomotives were of little use and all were written off between 1927. Not a single example of class 16 has survived until today.
Main technical data – class 1*)
*) Data for locomotives originally built for LCJE.
1) Planned, never taken over.
Main technical data – class 16*)
*) First two production examples differed slightly in dimensions and boiler details.
References and acknowledgments
- LP, EZ vol. 1, KT vol. 1;