Factory photo of the kkStB 310 (later 2.27, StEG 1854/1885). This locomotive remained with BBÖ and was withdrawn from use in 1926. Source: www.commons.wikipedia.org.
Longitudinal section of kkStB class 2. Drawing from my collection.
Between 1877 and 1883 Wiener Neustädter Lokomotivfabrik (WrN) and Lokomotivfabrik Floridsdorf (WLF) built 28 passenger locomotives with the 2-2-0 axle arrangement for Kronprinz Rudolf Bahn (class AR), Lemberg-Czernowitz-Jassy Eisenbahn (class IIIe) and state railways kkStB. They featured Camper lead truck and single-expansion steam engines. After the nationalization of two above-mentioned private railways all were taken over by kkStB and later classed 1. In 1884 WrN developed a slightly modified variant, classed AR III; until 1885, 21 and 8 examples were built by WrN and StEG, respectively, for kkStB, and the former company supplied twelve more for Galizische Transversalbahn. From 13th production example onwards steam pressure was increased from 10 to 11 bar. Furthermore, between 1893 and 1910 sixteen class 1 engines were rebuilt to this standard. Later all were classed 2 and numbered 2.01 through 2.60 (service numbers 2.47, 2.55 and 2.59 were missing, as they had been ‘reserved’ for locomotives which were not modified, so some sources still give the total number as 60).
After WWI Austrian state railways BBÖ kept 23 class 2 engines; last were written off in 1930. Czechoslovakian state railways ČSD received 24 examples, of which seven were withdrawn until 1923 and seventeen were later classed 254.0. The last one, 254.007 (ex 2.23, StEG 1850.1885) survived until September 1933; several were converted to stationary boilers. One locomotive remained in Russia and one went to the railways of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians (withdrawn in 1930). Polish railways PKP took over eight locomotives from second and fourth production batches delivered by WrN. They were used with local trains in southern and south-eastern Poland. Later they were classed Od12. In 1927 four were still in service, but all disappeared from the company’s rosters before 1931.
Class 2 was later developed into class 4, which featured larger drivers (1780 mm in diameter) and slightly modified boiler, but externally differed very little from its predecessor. These engines also served with PKP as class Od13. No class 2 locomotive has been preserved.
Main technical data*)
*) Data for second and fourth batches built by WrN.
1) Excluding rebuilds.
References and acknowledgments
- LP, EZ vol. 1, KT vol. 1;