Factory photo of the kkStB 465 (later 4.65, StEG 2133/1890). This locomotive was taken over by ČSD, re-numbered 254.211 and remained in use until 1925. Source: www.commons.wikipedia.org.
Class 4 side drawing; source: EZ vol. 1.
Factory photo of the kkStB 206 (WrN 2437/1879). Re-numbered 306, 586 and finally 4.186, it went in 1918 to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians and was withdrawn in 1930. Source: LAÖ.
In 1905 Austro-Hungarian state railways kkStB introduced new locomotive designation system, which was also applied to engines previously owned by various private railways. Individual classes were identified by one- two- or three-digit numerical designations. In all class 4 included 213 similar, but not identical passenger locomotives, developed from earlier class 2. They ran on saturated steam and featured outer frame, 2-2-0 axle arrangement, 1780 mm drivers, Camper lead truck and single-expansion steam engines.
Of 182 examples delivered between 1885 and 1896 and numbered 401 through 580, 594 and 595, eight were built for Lemberg-Czernowitz-Jassy Eisenbahn (nationalized in 1889), six for Prag-Duxer Eisenbahn (nationalized in 1892) and two for Lokalbahn Laibach-Stein, operated by kkStB. Further fourteen, numbered 10401 through 10414, were built for kkStB in 1896 and 1897. State railways took over also four class A engines built in 1890 for Böhmische Westbahn (nationalized in 1894), numbered 596 through 599. Moreover, between 1893 and 1909 thirteen locomotives originally built for Kaiser Franz Josephs Bahn as class AF III and similar to kkStB class 2 were also rebuilt to this standard; of these, eleven became 581 through 591 and two were rebuilt after 1905. New service numbers were 4.1 through 4.214 – there was no 4.200. Class 4 engines were built by Wiener Neustadt (168, including rebuilds), StEG (29), WLF (thirteen) and Krauss Linz (three). Individual examples differed in dimensions and weights, there were also minor differences in external appearance. Several engines (probably eight) were fitted with Brotan-type boilers.
After WWI class 4 shared the fate of other Austro-Hungarian locomotives. Austrian state railways BBÖ were left with 81 examples; withdrawals started soon and most disappeared from the company’s rosters before 1930, with only one, 4.164 (WrN 3970/1895), surviving until 1940. 55 engines went to Czechoslovakia, but only 38 were still in use when new designation system was introduced by ČSD. They were classed 254.2 and the last one (254.216, ex 4.107, WrN 3582/1892) was written off in December 1939. Many were converted into stationary boilers. Italian state railways FS received twelve examples, classed 543; service number 543.011 was initially erroneously assigned to a completely different locomotive and was later used for the second time. They saw very little service and were written off until 1923; according to ISRSL, two were scrapped before being dispatched to Italy. Romanian railways CFR took over ten engines, which retained their original service numbers; the last one, 4.172 (WrN 3847/1896) was withdrawn in 1937. Eighteen went to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians (later Yugoslavia). Five locomotives ended up in Russia and three were written off during the war.
PKP received 29 locomotives of this already obsolete type. 24 were still in service when new designation system was introduced. Classed Od13, they were used mainly with local trains in southern and south-eastern Poland. Assignment of new service numbers to individual examples is not known. All engines of this type were withdrawn before 1935. No class 4 locomotive has been preserved.
Main technical data*)
*) Data for the ‘basic’ version (original kkStB numbers 401 through 580).
- Excluding rebuilds.
- First / second / third production variant.
References and acknowledgments
- LP, EZ vol. 1, KT vol. 1, ISRSL, ITFR vol. 1, LAÖ;