Last example built for MÁV, 424,365 (7561/1958), photographed in Budapest on June 22, 2013. Photo by B. Zsolt (www.commons.wikimedia.org).
442,309 (7465/1956), plinthed in Nagykanizsa. Photo by someone who wishes to be known as Linathrash (source: as above).
Slightly run-down JŽ 11-015 (5574/1946), once used with Tito’s ‘Blue Train’, photographed in Zagreb in 2008 by someone nicknamed Suradnik 13 (source: www.hr.wikipedia.org).
Class 424 side drawing from EZ vol. 3.
Class 424 of Hungarian State Railways MÁV is one of the best known Hungarian locomotives and its history also has its modest Polish episode.
Design of new passenger locomotive was broadly based on Austro-Hungarian class 570. The same type was the starting point for Polish class Os24, developed by Fablok in close collaboration with Austrian StEG. Prototype (factory type 122, s/n 4731) was outshopped from Budapest-based Magyar Királyi Államvasutak Gépgyára (MÁVAG) in 1924. Tests began in April and the type was immediately ordered in quantity, being accepted by MÁV as class 424. It was a universal engine, with 2-4-0 arrangement, running on superheated steam and fitted with double stack. With 1606 mm drivers it was capable of hauling freight and passenger trains. Some examples were latter fitted with large, Wagner-type smoke lifters. After teething troubles had been eradicated, class 424 earned itself a good reputation among footplate crews. Common nicknames were ‘Buffalo’ or ‘Nurmi’, the latter after well-known Finnish long-distance runner Paavo Nurmi, who was very popular in Hungary.
Class 424 enjoyed a long production run, last examples being delivered in 1958. In all, 514 examples were built, of which 365 were for MÁV. Some were later converted to oil firing and last were withdrawn in 1986. In 1944 fifteen examples were built for Slovakian railways SŽ. Classed 465.0, they were taken over by ČSD in 1945 and supplemented by 36 engines of this type left in Czechoslovakia. They remained in use until 1967, ten were converted into stationary boilers. Post-war production included 62 examples for the Soviet Union, treated as a part of war reparations. Apart from these, NKPS took over several (probably 13) MÁV engines, of which three were later sold back to Hungary. Initially in NKPS service they were identified by factory numbers, later were classed TM and given consecutive numbers. Most were withdrawn between 1961 and 1962, several went to industry. State railways of Yugoslavia JDŽ took delivery of 52 brand-new locomotives of this type, ten more were ex-MÁV engines taken over after the war. Classed 11, they remained in use until 1981. Three class 11 engines in blue livery were reserved for Josip Broz Tito’s luxury ‘Plavi Voz’ (Blue Train), until supplanted by Krauss-Maffei ML 2200 diesels in 1961. Twenty examples were exported to Northern Korea between 1953 and 1954.
Of six MÁV 424s left in Poland in 1945, four were returned between 1952 and 1953. Two (424,010, MÁVAG 4734/1924, and 424,045, MÁVAG 5221/1941) were taken over by PKP. They were classed in untypical manner Os424 and retained their original service numbers. It is doubtful if they saw any line service. Both were rebuilt into braking engines and used for tests of other steam locomotives. In 1953 they were re-designated CZ-01 and CZ-02, respectively; ‘CZ’ abbreviation was used after Professor Albert Czeczott (1873-1955), well-known railway engineer, who was responsible for locomotive testing at the Ministry of Transport. These two engines were later supplemented by CZ-03, ex-SŽ and later ČSD 465.008 (MÁVAG 5440/1944), handed over by Soviet authorities in 1945. All these three engines were still in use in early 1960s.
As many as twelve 424s have been preserved in Hungary; some are still in working order. Three can be seen in Croatia, one in Serbia and one in Slovenia.
Main technical data
1) Probably no line service.
References and acknowledgments
- Attila Kirchner (private communication – many thanks for detailed statistics!);
- MÁV Motive Power Album by István Mezei (Közdok, date unknown);
- LOZD vol. 1, EZ vol. 3.