KukHB 370.005 (Linke-Hofmann 1093/1914), the last one from the first batch originally ordered by SD. This locomotive later became Tr104-5 and ended up as an industrial engine in the USSR. Location and date unknown, possibly a factory photo. Source: LAÖ.
In 1914 state railways of Serbia (Srpske Dravne eleznice SD) ordered five 1-4-0 freight locomotives from Linke-Hofmann Werke of Breslau. They were assigned factory numbers 1089 through 1093 and SD service numbers 7001 through 7005; however, war broke out before any could be delivered. The order was taken over by Austro-Hungarian military railways (kaiserlich und königliche Heeresbahn kukHB), which, due to shortage of indigenous manufacturing capabilities, purchased locomotives mainly in Germany. Classed 370, they were followed by two more batches: ten in 1916 (370.006 through 015, factory numbers 1377 through 1386) and sixteen in 1917 (370.016 through 031, factory numbers 1526 through 1536). This gives the total of 31 examples. Class 370 engines were quite modern for their time, featuring steam superheating and comparatively large grate for low-grade coal combustion. Axle load was moderate, at 14.3 tonnes. Compared with kkStB class 270, which had the same axle arrangement, similar characteristics and only slightly higher tractive effort, they were longer by over one metre and featured large distances between driven axles (2400 mm, with 1330 mm drivers), with fourth driven axle shifted far aft and located below the cab. This gave them somehow peculiar, if not very pleasing, appearance.
After the war it was intended to keep 370.005 through 008, 370.015 and 370.017 in Austria, but eventually all locomotives of this type were handed over to PKP. They were classed Tr104 and remained in south-eastern Poland. Six examples, including all from the first production batch, were withdrawn from use in March 1938. Seven more followed in January 1939 and not a single engine remained in service until September. None was, however, scrapped and all Tr104s fell into Soviet hands. They were undoubtedly regarded quite useful, as all were re-gauged and restored in service. Fifteen went to industry; sixteen were impressed into NKPS and later transferred to NKTS (Narodniy Kommisariat Transportnovo Stroitelstva Peoples Commissariat for Transportation Construction), for use by railway construction enterprises. Nothing is known about their subsequent fate.
Although SD never accepted a single locomotive from their original order, this type finally found its way to Serbia. Between 1922 and 1923 railways of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians (SHS) purchased 100 examples from five German manufacturers: Linke-Hofmann (40), Vulcan (20), Henschel (fifteen), Hohenzollern (fifteen) and Humboldt (ten). During post-war recession such orders, although small, were certainly very valuable for German factories. Numbered 7001 through 7100, they were later taken over by newly-created state railways of Yugoslavia J and classed 26. During WWII they saw service with state railways of Bulgaria (nineteen, class 24) and Italy (five).
Main technical data
1) Excluding post-war production for SHS.
2) Some sources give 16 613 mm.
References and acknowledgments
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- Charakterystyka parowozów (Steam Locomotive Characteristics) by A. Czeczott (Ministry of Transport, 1927).