An unidentified TKp101, photographed between Tarnopol and Łanowce; winter 1929 was a very frosty and snowy one. Source: National Digital Archives (NAC), used by permission.
Austrian 92 2101 (ex kukHB 528.11, Henschel 14663/1916), photographed in Vienna. Capital ‘T’ comes from Russian ‘trofeynyi’, or booty, and indicates that the picture was taken before Russians left Austria in 1955. This locomotive later became 292.2101 and was one of the last two in service – withdrawn in December 1966. Source: Lokomotiven ‘Heim ins Reich’ – see References.
During the First World War virtually all Austro-Hungarian locomotive manufacturers were overburdened, so military railways k.u.k. Heeresfeldbahn (kukHB) placed orders for standard-gauge locomotives, totaling 148 examples, with German factories. This number included 22 four-axle tank engines, delivered by Henschel between 1916 and 1917. These were relatively simple and robust single-expansion locomotives, running on saturated steam and fitted with Heusinger valve gear; their design followed typical Prussian standards of that time. Classed 578, all survived until the Armistice. Ten older examples, with factory numbers 14103 through 14112, were taken over by PKP and in 1925 classed TKp101 (all ‘military’ locomotives were considered ‘of foreign origin other than German or Austrian’ and assigned class numbers from 101 upwards). The remaining twelve engines were taken over by Austrian state railways BBÖ and retained their original service numbers. They were used as switchers at four switch yards in Vienna, apart from one example, which was assigned to Knittelfeld (Bruck/Mur). Following the Anschluss, all were impressed into DRG and classed 9221. Eight were returned after the war and served with ÖBB (later re-classed 292) until 1960s; last two, 292.2101 (ex 578.011, Henschel 14663/1916) and 292.2105 (ex 578.015, Henschel 14667/1917) were written off in December 1966. The remaining four were initially in April 1945 taken over by Hungarian railways MÁV, but eventually handed over in August 1949 to Romanian CFR; in the 1950s all were transferred to industry.
Of ten Polish TKp101s, one (TKp101-3, ex 578.003, Henschel 14105/1916) was withdrawn before 1936, the rest remaining in use until the war. In 1939 two fell into Soviet hands and were taken over by NKPS; their ultimate fate is unknown. The rest were impressed into DRG and re-numbered 92 2113 through 2119. In 1945 two were taken over by the Soviets and the remaining five returned to PKP with new service numbers. TKp101-1 (ex TKp101-2, Henschel 14104/1916) was withdrawn in February 1951 and TKp101-5 (ex TKp101-1, Henschel 14103/1916) followed in December 1955. Three examples went to industry. TKp101-4 (ex TKp101-10, KukHB 578.010, DRG 92 2118, Henschel 14112/1916), sold in 1951 to the Kętrzyn sugar plan, was intended for preservation. This, however, failed to materialize and not a single example of this type has survived until today.
Main technical data
References and acknowledgments
- www.pospichal.net/lokstatistik (website by Josef Pospichal);
- www.beitraege.lokomotive.de/datenbank (website by Ingo Hütter);
- Lokomotiven ‘Heim ins Reich’ by Andreas Knipping, Ingo Hütter and Hansjürgen Wenzel (EK-Verlag, 2009);
- Josef Pospichal (private communication).