VVZhD 188 (Borsig 3317/1874) in its original version, location and date unknown. From Ingo Hütter’s collection; source: the monograph by B. Pokropiński (see References).
Side drawing of the re-boilered version by B. Pokropiński; source – as above.
The first railway to commence operation in the part of Poland taken by Russia, the Warsaw-Vienna Railway (Varshavo-Vyenskaya Zheleznaya Doroga, VVZhD or BBЖД in Russian script), initially ordered motive power from Belgian and later Austrian and German manufacturers. One of the major suppliers was Borsig Lokomotiv-Werke GmbH of Berlin-Hennigsdorf. Between 1870 and 1885 this company delivered, among others, a number of passenger locomotives with the 1-2-0 axle arrangement. According to the monograph by Bogdan Pokropiński (see References), in all 54 examples were purchased. Borsig factory list (available from Jens Merte at http://www.werkbahn.de/eisenbahn/lokbau/), however, indicates that four of these were in fact 0-3-0 freighters. Their design was progressively improved. They were classed 24 (thirteen or nine – see above) and 28 (41 examples in five sub-types, differing in details). They enjoyed a good reputation and often ran with express trains, but their major shortcoming were comparatively small boilers. In 1912 ten examples from last three batches, delivered between 1882 and 1885, were re-boilered by Bryansk locomotive works. They were fitted with boilers of larger diameter and steam pressure increased from 9 to 11 bar. Drivers were also slightly increased in diameter and Westinghouse brakes were standardized. Tractive effort increased by almost 70 percent. In accordance with new designation system introduced in Russia they were classed Dbw (Дбв in Russian script).
In 1915, as German assault advanced towards Warsaw, almost all motive power and rolling stock of the VVZhD was evacuated to Russia and transferred to various railways. Peace treaty signed with Soviet Russia in 1921 stipulated that all locomotives of the former VVZhD be handed over to Polish authorities, but in fact only a handful returned. According to several sources (e.g. the above-mentioned monograph, LP and www.bluefish.foxnet.pl), seven engines of the re-boilered type served with PKP. Although taken over from Russia, they were considered of German origin and accordingly classed Oc2. It is not clear whether these locomotives were left in Poland in 1915 or re-claimed after 1921. The former does not seem probable, as class Dwb engines were comparatively modern and could be easily re-gauged, so they would be among the first ones to evacuate. In 1931 five Oc2s were still in use and this type disappeared from the company’s rosters before 1936.
Main technical data
*) Data for modernized version (class Dbw).
1) Re-built in 1912.
References and acknowledgments
- Charakterystyka parowozów (Steam Locomotive Characteristics) by A. Czeczott (Ministry of Transport, 1927);
- 150 lat Drogi Żelaznej Warszawsko-Wiedeńskiej (150 years of the Warsaw-Vienna Railway) by A. Paszke, M. Jerczyński and S.M. Koziarski (CDOKP, Warszawa, 1995);
- Tabor Drogi Żelaznej Warszawsko-Wiedeńskiej (Vehicles of the Warsaw-Vienna Railway) by Bogdan Pokropiński (Kolpress, 2015);
- A presentation by Paweł Mierosławski (available at www.psmk.org.pl).